Equipment rental is available to current Stanford students, staff, faculty, and Stanford Alumni Association members*. Please remember to bring your University SUNet ID and a debit card or credit card when you check out equipment. The Stanford Outdoor Center does not accept cash or checks.
Equipment rental is available on a first-come, first-serve basis with the exception of Group Rental Requests. Any equipment rental requires the completion of the Gear Rental Agreement, which can be filled out at the time of check out.
*Stanford Alumni Association members must have proof of SAA membership in current standing, Rec Access membership, and photo ID. Day pass holders are not permitted to rent equipment from the Outdoor Rental Center.
- Equipment rentals must be checked out and checked in with an Outdoor Center Staff at the Gear Rentals and Store front desk during the Equipment Rental Center open hours.
- Adventure Program members and non-members are allowed to rent for themselves and one other person.
(i.e. Maximum of 2 items per category, per order)
- Large orders for groups may be requested by completing the Group Rental Form under Group Reservations. A minimum of $400.00 is required for Group Rental Requests.
- All equipment rentals are due 30 minutes before closing time on the return date. Rental equipment brought in 30 minutes or less before closing time will be asked to return the following business day and will be subject to late fees if applicable.
- Equipment must be returned clean and dry upon inspection. Equipment returned soiled or damaged will be charged a cleaning and/or damage fee. It is the responsibility of the renter to check the condition of the equipment at the time of check out. Cleaning and damage fees will be determined by Outdoor Center Staff on a case-by-case basis. Cleaning expectations will vary depending on the item – please ask a staff member if you have questions.
- Tent rentals are required to be set up in the Outdoor Center upon return by the lessee. All tent components are to be in good condition upon staff inspection. Lessee will not be permitted to return tents that they do not set up, and late fees will accrue.
- Lessee is responsible for the full cost of replacement if gear is damaged, lost, or stolen.
- Equipment rentals must be returned by the lessee whose account the equipment is under.
- The Gear Rental Center and Store are closed for business outside the operating hours. The Outdoor Center Staff reserve the right to close the Outdoor Center on an as-needed basis.
Equipment Rental Hours
The Outfitting Center is open in the Arrillaga Outdoor Education and Recreation Center. The times listed are subject to change based on special events. Feel free to call us at 650-736-7768 if you have a question! If we are not available, please leave a message and our staff will return your call during our open hours.
Fall Quarter Hours
|Equipment Rental Shop||Outdoor Center Lounge|
The Equipment Rental Shop and Outdoor Center Lounge will be closed on the following dates:
SPOT (Prep, Training, and Trip) – September 2-20, 2019
Equipment will be unavailable to rent from August 30, 2019 through September 20, 2019. The Outdoor Center will re-open on September 23, 2019.
The Outdoor Center will close for business at the above time. Customers renting or returning equipment 30 minutes or less prior to closure will be asked to return the following business day and will be subject to late fees if applicable.
The Outdoor Center Staff reserve the right to close the Center on an as-needed basis. Please give us a call if you have any questions concerning this policy. Thank you!
Equipment Price List
View the Equipment Rental Price List here!
The Outdoor Center rents cross country touring and backcountry skis and snowshoes. We do not rent alpine downhill skis or snowboard equipment. For alpine downhill equipment or snowboard equipment, contact Sports Basement in Sunnyvale or Redwood City or The Ski Renter in Mountain View.
Payment & Deposit:
- All monetary/rental transactions must be processed during Equipment Rental Shop operation hours.
- We accept credit and debit cards (No American Express or Discover).
- A credit card is required for deposits on Group Rental Reservations.
- The Stanford Outdoor Center does not accept cash or checks.
- All sales are final. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer refunds on equipment rental and store sales at this time.