…provides individual equipment rentals for reduced rates to Stanford students, faculty, staff, and Stanford affiliates. All you have to do is come in to rent! We do not accept reservations for gear rentals. All equipment is rented on a first come, first served basis.
The Outdoor Center does not rent Alpine Downhill Skis or Snowboard Equipment. We do rent cross country touring and backcountry skis and snowshoes. For Alpine down hill equipment contact Sports Basement in Sunnyvale.
If you do have a large group in need of equipment, please take a look at our Group Outfitting page, located under the Outdoor Center tab.
The Climbing Wall at AOERC rents climbing shoes by the day! Just visit the Climbing Wall during open hours. The cost for a pair of shoes is $2 (SO Members) or $3 (Non-members).
*Please note: All monetary/rental transactions must be processed during Equipment Rental Shop operation hours.
Equipment Rental Hours
The Outfitting Center is open in the Arrillaga Outdoor Education and Recreation Center. The times listed are subject to change based on special events. Feel free to call us at 650-736-7768 if you have a question! If we are not available, please leave a message and our staff will return your call during our open hours.
Winter Quarter Hours
Opening January 7th
|Equipment Rental Shop - Winter Quarter||Outdoor Center Lounge - Winter Quarter|
Please note that the Outdoor Center will close for business at the above time, sharp. Customers renting or returning equipment 15 minutes or less prior to closure may be asked to return the following business day and will be subject to late fees if applicable.
The Outdoor Center Staff reserve the right to close the Center on an as-needed basis. Please give us a call if you have any questions concerning this policy. Thank you!
Prices and Policies
*Please note that we do NOT rent any kind of alpine/downhill ski or snowboard equipment.
To rent equipment you must have access to the Arrillaga Outdoor Education & Recreation Center. Building policies apply- you must have a Stanford ID or a guest pass to access our space. Equipment rental is open to students, alumni, staff, faculty, and affiliates. Alumni can purchase guest passes to the building through the Alumni Association. You can read more about facility access here.
- Equipment returned late will be subject to a rental fee for additional days and a 10% late fee.
Payment & Deposit:
- Payment required at time of rental. We accept credit and debit cards (NO American Express or Discover)
- Starting May 21st, 2018 we will no longer accept cash
- A credit card is required for deposit
Cleaning & Drying:
- Items are expected to be returned clean and dry. We will not accept wet/soiled equipment. Wet equipment will be sent away with the renter and asked to be returned the following day. Gear that is returned late due to wetness will be subject to a late fee.
- WETSUITS: wetsuits should be returned rinsed (not sandy/muddy), but need not be completely dry.
- You are responsible for the full cost of repair or replacement if gear is damaged, lost, or stolen.